December 12

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Never in my life would I have thought that one of the most captivating works of fiction that I would have the pleasure of reading would be about rabbits. It seems like a topic or setting for a children’s book — a group of playful rabbits search for a new home following adversity and have adventures along the way. 

However, this book is anything but playful and joyous. The group of rabbits, having their homes destroyed by human development, are in search of a new one. However, along the way, they encounter other rabbit societies with varying degrees of authoritarianism and countless environmental challenges. It’s a book full of pain, death, and suspense, and one that never ceases to hold the reader’s attention.

One of the most interesting aspects of Adams’ writing, in my opinion, is his consistency in ensuring that the world is fed to the reader from the eyes of the rabbits. A nearly Tolkein-esqe system of language, religion, and custom. Adams achieved the remarkable task of designing a world through the eyes of the rabbits, which makes a serious attempt to prevent human constants, like a base-ten number system or widespread knowledge of basic physics and geography to influence it. The reader truly feels like they are looking through the eyes of the rabbit.

I strongly recommend this book. The action sequences and suspense are nearly unparalleled to anything I’ve read, and the reader truly feels invested in the characters, even with all their flaws- a remarkable task when considering the world of rabbits.

Review by Henry

Posted December 12, 2019 by fclibrary in category Book review, classic