March 15

Love in English by Maria E. Andreu

Ana and her mother have just arrived in America from Argentina to meet her Father. Starting her first day at a new school, knowing very little english. 

All Ana wants to do is go home—until she meets Harrison, the very American boy in her math class. And then there’s Neo, the Greek boy she’s partnered up with in ESL class, who she bonds with over the 80s movies they are assigned to watch for class.

But is it possible that she’s becoming too American—as her father accuses—and what does it mean when her feelings for Harrison and Neo start to change? Ana will spend her year learning that the rules of English may be confusing, but there are no rules when it comes to love.

This Book was good but not great. It was an easy read and something different from anything I have read before but it was not show stopping. Andreu structured the story in very short chapters, which I loved as it made the read go by really fast and was easy to find a stopping place when I needed to. The chapter titles switched between Spanish and english names which I also enjoyed, it brought a different aspect. The story however just felt lacking. I did not feel that there was any character development. The relationships felt rushed and forced. I did not feel any sort of attachment to the characters and their emotions. I feel like the book was very surface level and it had a lot of great aspects it could have delved into. Overall a simple read, maybe something to read by the pool or at the beach, but not something I would recommend all of the time.

Rating: 3/5

-Camryn

Posted March 15, 2023 by fclibrary in category Realistic fiction, Romance